Thursday, September 17, 2009

fun itmes in the ER

Well, last night was a fun-filled ER adventure. After 2 days of Nate not being himself, Dan and I took him into the ER. Poor little guy, he was really warm and listless. We went to the park and he didn't even want to go down the slide or crawl in the grass! I tried 3 different times to get him into the pediatricain (and was stuck on hold for at least 15 min each time). Darn swine flu!
But when he started throwing up as well, I took him in. We got there and he had a fever of 104! (and, to prove that he was serious, he threw up on his dad twice before they even got his temp taken) I was so freaked out. We were never even in the waiting room, they took him back immediatly.
I can't help but feel guilty. I knew that he hadn't been feeling well, but I just told Suzanne to give him plenty of fluids and a cool bath before bed, and I went out for a GNO to see Julie and Julia. I left him for a night and come home to a sick baby with a ridiculously high fever. And as we were at the hospital and they told me his temp and his weight (almost a pound less than normal) I felt like a terrible mom. For the second time I left my son for the night and ended up in an ER room. At least this time I got to bring him home with me. As if I didn't already have enough neurosis and paranoias.
I will admit that I got slightly hysterical. (Sorry Sara, hope it wasn't anyone you know in triage). My voice went up about 4 octives as I shrieked "that's really high!" (in response to the temp), and "he's lost over a pound?!?!" (when they weighed him). Luckily Dan was able to calmly talk to the hospital staff while I cried in the corner.
We were whisked off to the back, and Nate was given a bed immediatly. He got a suppository that dropped his temp like a rock off the Empire State building. Then, just as he was starting to feel a little better, and have a tiny bit of energy and not just lie there like a lump, not caring what happened to him....he got a catheder, and they took a urine sample. Let me just say that he was NOT enthused with that process.
It seemed like forever, and I was really freaked out, but we finally got the results. Turns out it wasn't a UTI. And he was only slightly dehydrated, so he didn't need an IV either. It's just a virus, and he needs fluids, rest and tylennol. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sorry to hear about the hard times. Hopefully, Nate will be feeling better soon and you, too.

rachanderson said...

a note to remind myself: turns out it was Roseola (sp?) that he most likely got from Elara. The high fever and rash are very common with this particular childhood ailment, and he came through just fine.