Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bah humbug

This week Dan and I got "the Bishopric Call" for the second time. We get to give a talk on Sunday. Yay. Can you read the sarcasm in my typing? Our topic is "the scriptures" and I have no idea what I'm going to say. On Monday Dan missed the call, and when he checked his voicemail he let me know what was going on. My first instinct was to very emphatically say NO, NO, NO WAY! But the nagging voice in my head kept repeating the main line from Sunday's Primary lesson. "Choose the right James, always choose the right" And I thought that if I'm going to be teaching a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds to always choose the right, I should start doing it myself. After all, if I'm going to be a teacher, I should lead by example, right? So my emphatic NO turned into a grudging ok. Then, as the days went by I thought of Lamen and Lemuel. They, like Nephi, started out doing what Lehi and the Lord told them to. But they did so grudgingly and they ended up being cursed, not blessed for it. And I realized that I need to have a much better attitude than I actually do. So, I am trying to think of what on earth I'm going to say, and have a better attitude as I work it out. As you may or may not have noticed, I'm still struggling with that part. Actually, I'm on the computer instead of preparing my talk right now.

No comments: