Friday, August 1, 2008

I'm an adult...=(

I realized yeasterday that I no longer fit into the 'kid' category on outings. You know what I mean, when you go out as a family, or large group to a fun place, like maybe Sunsplash and all the kids are all full of energy, running around, getting to be the first one in line for the coolest slides...and the adults are lagging way behind, walking at a leisurely pace, content to watch the kids go down the same slide five times in a row, and decided that for them, once or twice is enough. Yesterday Dan and I took PJ(his 15 year old brother) and Spencer (my 15 year old brother) to Sunsplash, and that is exactly what happened. Granted I am pregnant, and not supposed to go on most of the slides anyway, but I never thought I would be the one sitting on the side of the kiddy pool with my feet in the water, waving as everyone else rode down the slides. And getting pizza while the guys waited in line for crazy rides, thinking that even if I wasn't pregnant there's no way I would go down that thing. And searching for PJ to remind him that it's time to reapply the sunscreen (he burns if someone draws a picture of a sun and puts it near him). It made me kind of sad, to be perfectly honest. I was actually hanging out in the kiddy part of the park at one point thinking about how much fun a small child would have, and trying to decide at what age Nate would be able to come and play.
Even with all of that, it was an awesome fun day. I had never been down "The Cauldron" aka, the toilet bowl slide. And all three of the guys went on the big v-shaped slide where you basically sit on an inner tube and slide down a steep incline, then up the other side, and back and forth until you run out of momentum. It's the big white and red thing that you can see from the freeway. Dan freaked out and screamed Holy ____!!!!!, and PJ forgot to keep his bottom up, so he bumped it and said ow, very loudly. Spencer says that everyone still in line was laughing at him. And Spencer was shaking so bad and looking so terrified that the slide attendant asked him 2 or 3 times if he was sure he wanted to go. The other really funny thing was the lilly pads in the kid area. There's 6 or 7 floating green pads that are tethered to the pool bottom in a straight line. Spencer and PJ had a competition to see who could get the furthest without using the ropes above for balance. Spencer won the first time, but the second time, PJ made it all the way across, then slipped on the landing and went across the foam pad like a slip 'n slide. When he stood up, he said 7 triumphantly, so at least he wasn't hurt. Dan was so funny. You see, the bigger the person, the more difficult it is to make it across and to keep your balance. And Dan is significantly bigger than the average small child. But he's also significantly more determined than the average small child, so he did make it across....much to the amusement of everyone around the pool. About half the adults were shouting encouragement, and the rest were laughing their heads off. One guy was literally holding his sides laughing!
As I said, it was a fun day. The only down side is that I didn't bring a camera to capture all the fun.

1 comment:

Coree Adams said...

Wow that sounds like it was hilarious to watch. I'm so glad you got a bassinet. I was actually just given a pattern to make the bassinet skirt and everything. If you want it, let me know!