Friday, December 21, 2007

I think I'm being followed

wow, I just can't seem to leave the house without some sort of excitement. Today I finally finished my Christmas shopping. Though I may get one or two more things just cause.-but the "official" shopping is done! And since the truck is still out of comission, I figured I would brave the city busses, and experience I haven't attempted in YEARS!! And I have to tell you, I feel old. All these teenagers with their poor grammer and overly dramatic existances. The girls giggling and talking trash about other (absent) girls and the boys trying to get their attention. And there I was working on a cross stitch project! To make matters worse, I was being followed for a very short while. As I was walking in front of a driveway to an apartment complex, a car horn sounded in my direction, which I-as usual-ignored. The car then proceded to turn into the 7 11 I was heading into and the driver got out and followed me into the store. I didn't notice until I turned around and saw how close he was following behind me. Still not thinking much of it, I said excuse me and walked down an asile. He walked down an aisle, next to me. Then he turns to me and tries to get my attention by calling me ma'am. And I look up at this tall, skinny, very old white haired man who says "I think you should give me your number" In my head I'm wondering what he's talking about and if he realzies he's probably old enough to be my grandfather. But what comes out of my mouth is "I don't know why I would do that"
I did feel bad about it later, but I've never been hit on my someone three times my age before and I kind of panicked. Had it been a younger guy I would probably have make some comment like, I don't think my husband would like that: or if I was in a mean mood, I might have looked him up and down and laughed as I turned away. But a grandpa??? I mean, what do you do in that situation?
The feeling of being followed continued as my day progressed. And at Mervyns I made the decision to get my mom something for Christmas. Even though we're not technically on "good" or even "speaking" terms, I felt the need to extend the olive branch. This line kept going through my head. "I will forgive who I will, but of you it is required to forgive all men" I don't even know the reference, but whenever I'm in a particularly snarky mood it fills my thoughts, and follows me throughout the day. (P.S. bonus points to anyone who can tell me the reference) I konw it probably won't do much, but it will make me feel good about myself, so it's worth it. And I'll feel like I did the right thing. Besides, it was an awesome sale.
And yet the persistant feeling of being followed will not go away. Even after I got home from work, Princess is laps around the living room and following my every move, and pacing circles around me. I just can't quit being followed today!

2 comments:

Coree Adams said...

Oh wow! You are definitely brave...I don't think I would have the guts to do that...I probably would have sat down in the middle of the aisle and started crying. LOL I'm glad you are ok, and I hope you have a better day today, without being followed! Good for you on extending the olive branch to your mom. It is definitely important to do all that we can to forgive and be forgiven, and then leave it up to the other person to decide what they will do with it. You are a good example to me! Thanks.

Brandon and Mandi Hemming said...

That's funny that a GRANDPA wanted your D-I-G-I-T-S!!! :) Hey- it might be creepy, but ya still got it!! :) But, I'm sure Dan knows that :) I'm proud of you for extending the olive branch :) You have such a sweet spirit and I love you!! I hope you and Dan have a GREAT Christmas!!!