Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Anderson family updates

Well, it's been four awesome, fun filled weeks. And Nate is growing so much every day. Today I weighed myself holding him, then just me. And according to my bathroom scale, he weighs 11.6 pounds!!! How crazy is that? His one month check up is on Friday (a whole month old!!!) so I guess I'll see how accurate my scale is then. So, as for the life of the Andersons, Dan is still focusing on his school stuff. He's got a huge Bio project/test thingy next week. It's hugely study intensive, but not a lot of points. The teacher is kind of a butt head. He seems to like making his class hard for the sake of it being difficult. So, we've been seeing lots and lots of flashcards around here lately.
I have been a flurry of cooking activity. Since Frys was having such an awesome sale of chicken and roasts I stocked up. Over the course of 48 hours I made up like 8lbs of chicken nuggets, cut up two roasts for stew meat and fajita meat, repackaged and froze the remaining, roasted a whole chicken, pureed carrots, made a really yummy butternut squash soup, and made and froze some breakfast burritos. All while caring for a small child. He is the sweetest little baby. I absolutely love him. Not as crazy about his vision of me as primarily a human milk machine. But I love watching him in everything he does. From sleeping, to eating, to cuddling (usually with his food source!), even the confused look he gets right before he spits up, and the concerned look he get afterwards. It's as if he's calculating the nourishment he's lost via spit up; deciding whether or not he can spare it. I guess he figures he can't because he usually eats again right afterwards.
Nate is doing well. He has, however, decided that bassinets are for babies, and he is not a baby. Mommy and Daddy's bed is the resting place of choice for my little man. I've got to say, watching a little, almost one month old boy napping in the middle of a king sized bed is really amusing. He's doing well with tummy time and he can push himself up enough to go from laying on his tummy facing right to laying on his tummy facing left. Unfortunately, he really likes being on his tummy, and finds it relaxing enough that he tends to fall asleep. And with the whole "Always lay your baby on their back to sleep, or they will die of SIDS" train of thought currently being pushed by pediatricians, combined with my own unusually high level of paranoia regarding infant mortality, it kinda freaks me out. Dan actually came into the room one afternoon to comfort the crying baby and saw me, hovering over him, smiling. You see, he had been sleeping peacefully (on his back). So peacefully that I was worried that he wasn't breathing. So I watched him intently, then convinced myself that I was imagining the rhythmic rising and falling of his chest, so I pinched him to see if I could get a reaction. And Dan and I had a conversation about not letting irrational paranoia interfere with nap time.
All in all, we're doing pretty good. This week promises to be a busy one. What with my dental appointment, (actually kinda looking forward to fillings b/c I get to get out of the house without lugging a diaper bag, infant carrier, stroller, and infant), Nate's doctor's appointment, Spencer's 15th birthday on Saturday (my baby brother :( he's getting so big) it's gonna be crazy!

1 comment:

CF Is Not Forever said...

I'm glad things are going so happily! I am kind of a loser because its been 4 weeks and I haven't brought you diner yet! Yikes! Not that from the sound of things you need it you cooking machine you! But what day next week sounds good for your schedule for a fiesta themed meal?