Friday, December 11, 2009

they joys of raising a boy

Sometimes you've got to just take a deep breath and remind yourself that you do, in fact, love your child very very much. Today was one of those days. Nate has been going nuts because he's been cooped up all week. Normally I would take him to the park, or to the library or even a quick trip to the store. But we usually get out of the house every day. This week I've been sick. Today I was happy that I actually got out of bed before 3. Luckily for me, the semester is winding down, so Dan has been home a lot more than usual. So, that was a big help for me. But Dan's idea of fun time with Nate is playing peek-a-boo or getting out toys and playing on the floor. Fun, but not exactly the type of activities that will burn off a 1 year old's excessive energy. Well, Nate took advantage of his inside time and perfected his climbing skills. He can now climb onto and off of the bed. I became aware of that fact when he climbed across my head and sat down on me with his soggy, stinky diaper. Let's just say that's not my favorite way to wake up.
Later in the day I was feeling much better, so Nate and I dropped Dan off to take his calculus final (which he thinks he rocked!!) and we went to Target and Ross. Apparently I was not quite up to a trip of this magnitude. So, I am standing in Ross, looking at blouses when I notice that my dear son is not only standing up in the cart (a regular occurrence for him), but he has also thrown one leg over the side of the cart and is trying to climb out. On the bright side, he was going down "safe" (on his tummy, using his feet to search for a ledge to stand on) like he does on the bed. Needless to say, that particular activity was strongly discouraged. Not that it did any good. He tried again, and again, and again. Nathan is nothing if not persistent.
On a more positive note, Nate's various bumps and bruises are all currently healed. I almost don't recognize him. But then again, it is more difficult to bonk and bruise when you're playing on carpet, a bed and pillows. I love my little wild child. I never know what to expect. He gives me little warning as to what crazy thing he is going to try next :)
Nathan is still nursing once or twice a day, and he's getting much less subtle about letting me know when he's ready. The best part is when we're out in public and all of a sudden he starts attacking my shirt, trying to rip it off so he can nurse. He's getting to an age where it's more creepy than cute when he tries to get into my shirt. I pity his future girlfriends. If he's that fresh with any of them, I foresee more scratches and marks across his handsome little face. But if he acts like that, I wouldn't blame any girl for slapping him :) Heaven knows I slapped his daddy when we were dating. . . though that didn't happen too often, Dan's a good guy. Most of the time. The downside to Nate still nursing is that he is still waking up in the middle of the night, though I've found that if I stuff his tummy right before bed he wakes up later. Usually I would just let him cry it out and put himself back to bed, but he shares a wall with Spencer's room and I don't want my little bro to have to deal with a shrieking baby at 2am when he's got to be up for school the next day.

No comments: