Monday, May 12, 2008

pre-Mother's Day Madness

I debated with myself on wether or not to post this, but reading Jami's blog decided it for me. I was unaware that the Bushmans were adding on to their house and converting their carport to a garage. This is important to the story later.
Saturday Danny and I went over to the Lines home to help them move. Danny did most of the heavy lifting and actual work. I took Jackson out to run errands to get him out of the way and got back in time to finish up the very last of the packing and cleaning. We all went to Justin's parents' home (where Sara and Justin will be staying until their move to Illinois) to help offload the fridge/freezer and to eat Jack-in-the-Box. It was past midnight when Danny and I finally left, and I picked up Suzanne for a midnight strike!
We picked up a dozed carnations and some blue and pink ribbon and little boxes of Whitman's chocolate. While I drove, Suzanne tied the ribbons to the flowers, pink for girls and blue for boys. The plan was to visit our cousins and their wives who have children and leave nice little Mother's Day presents.
We chose our route carefully, deciding the best path with the least ammount of backtracking. First off to Kamara's. But I had been there a few times before so I was overly confidant of my abilities to find it. What I underestimated was my ability to get hopelessly lost. After driving up and down Broadway, Southern, University, Main street, and Baseline between Lindsay and Val Vista we finally gave it up and headed to Jami's house.
Luckily I had only been there once, and my Dad drove, so I mapquest-ed it, and wrote down the directions; but not the house number. So as we drove up, I looked for the most distinguishing feature that I could remember about the house. Which, unfortunately for me, was the carport. I thought we were sucessful in that endeavor and we cheerfully went on to our next stop.
As we approached Coree's home, again a mapquest-ed location, I realized that once again I had failed to record not only the address, but also the apartment number. So it was decided that after we were done I would drop Suzanne off and come back to the two we had missed. After getting better directions and writing them down in their entirity.
We did decide to pick up flowers and chocolates for our mom too. So we sneakily crept into our old neighborhood and pulled up in front of the house. My heart was racing as I parked and lept from the car, roses and candy in my hands. As I crept to the front door I noticed that the light in my mom's room was on, and I nearly froze. But I summoned all of my courage and gently placed the goodies on the door step before turning around and running as though being pursued by a pack of wild dogs intent on ripping the tender flesh from my bones.
Our final stop of the night was to Mandi. Hers was the trickiest because of the gate before you have to open to get to the house. It was so loud I thought someone would wake up for sure. But no one did, and we headed home for the night. (at about 3:30am)
Long story short, I didn't end up leaving again that night. I passed out the second I saw my nice warm bed and my nice warm husband warming my nice warm bed. So, I thought that two of the four deliveries were made, but as it turns out, only one was. Oh, well I was thinking of you all. And it's the thought that counts, isn't it?

1 comment:

Coree Adams said...

What a sweet idea!!! The thought DEFINITELY counts!