Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Women's Conference...the Good Stuff

There were some really great sessions at Women's Conference this year. It really helped my perspective.
One class was titled "After much tribulation the Lord did hear my cries" There was a story about a woman who had 15 children when her husband died. She was dazed and overwhelmed, sitting on a bus. She and another woman began a conversation and she told the stranger about her recent loss. The woman asked "Do you have any children?" and was answered "I have 15, and each of them has a characteristic that reminds me of their father" The second woman was silent for a moment, then said, "You're lucky that you just lost your husband, my husband and both of our daughters were killed recently in a car accident." Later, one of her friends was trying to comfort her, and crying with her, when the woman said "Don't pity me, pity the woman who lost all" This really hit me. I mean, we all have trials and suffering and loss in our lives. But that woman made a choice not to wallow in self pity. After all, no matter what is going on in our lives at the moment, we are always better off than some others. And instead of feeling bad for ourselves, we should be grateful for all that we do have.
"A thankful heart allows us to feel the love that Heavenly Father has for us" I remember last year when I was at the lowest points. I was definitely not grateful for any part of the circumstances that I found myself in. And as I look back, I remember feeling lost and alone. At that time, I didn't feel that Heavenly Father loved me. I even felt that He hated me, and I couldn't understand why He would do that to me. I blamed Him for the bad parts of my life, and for all the pain that I was feeling. There was no part of me that felt the love that I know He has for me. But as I began to feel gratitude for other things in my life, like my wonderful husband, and his family, my friends, and my own health...down to little things, like being grateful for a sunny day or for a happy little bird singing. I realized that the more I showed and felt gratitude the happier I was, and also I was able feel His love for me again. Don't get me wrong, I still am not really grateful for what happened, but I am happy to know that my little boy is living with Christ and Heavenly Father. I know that he's in good hands. Better than my own, anyway.
Here's a few more quotes that I liked:
"If you spend you life mourning losses, you will never enjoy it's blessings."
"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
"Sometimes life happens, and sometimes life is hard"
"Some blessings come soon, some late, some not until Heaven. But for those who have faith, blessings do come" I really liked this last quote. It reminded me once again that my timetable and the Lord's is not always on the same track. It also gives hope that if you don't get what you want right away, keep being optimistic, because blessings are on the way.

No comments: