Monday, June 30, 2008

The rest of the story

Every one better hurry and read this because Dan may ask that I take it down later. This is the "rest of the story" that I alluded to in my last post.
So, we're getting ready to fly out Sunday afternoon. Dan's back was still hurting like the dickens from the intensive knot busting session of the night before. It was so bad he didn't even make it to church, which really upset him. He was given another vicoden which he obediently took, and "Silly Dan" was back again. I had packed and lugged our bags out to Dad's car when I decided once again to try to persuade Danny that we really did need one of the adorable little kittens to come home with us. I offered him a dollar if he said yes, then Mom offered him 5. That wasn't quite enough, but he whispered to me, asking if he could have $50. Because that's a lot of money. I said sure, why not and went in search of Felix.
For this next part, you have to understand that Dan is not a cat person. He's into dogs and has never actually had a cat before. That being said...as we were looking for Felix, he spotted the little white kitten and said he wanted that one. He named her Snowball and asked if he could bring her back too. Three bites and several scratches later (she was one of the least domesticated kitties-but he had to have her because she was his kitty and he loved her) I delivered her into the waiting arms of my overjoyed husband and continued my efforts to find Felix.
Snowball wriggled her way out of Dan's grasp and he almost cried. He was worried not only that he might have dropped and hurt her, but also that she didn't love him. Long story shot, Dad and I recaptured her, got Felix and put them both into a cat carrier that Mom found in the garage and headed to the airport.
Dad waited after dropping us off to make sure that the cats would be ok. We really weren't prepared to take them onto an airplane and didn't even know what the rules and regs were. "silly Dan" is very child-like and enjoys much more simple pleasures. He kept wanting to open the carrier and hold the kitties. So, as I explained to the ladies at the ticket window that the cats were only 7 weeks old and they were from the same litter, and that my husband was very attached to them, and they were his comfort item, "Silly Dan" was telling about how the kitties love him, and they're sisters and they're going to go on an airplane with us, and how he hoped they would like Princess, and Princess is our dog, and she's old, and since Mouse died last year she doesn't have any friends-just him, and me. The I asked if he could be a big helper and write our information on the luggage tag, and he was really excited to help. The ladies looked at me, and then at him, and then at each other, and told him that it was ok, and of course his kitties could go with him.
Our next adventure was security. Somehow Dan's driver's license was missing from his wallet, so he had to go through extra security. We got separated at that point, and I had to be the one to ask that they search his Temple bag privately, not in the middle of the airport. But he was happy because he got to hold the kitties and take them through the metal detector. Because, as he told the security lady, if the kitties went through the x-ray then their bones would show, and they might not like that. I got a sympathetic glance from her too. They took him into a private room to pat him down and search his bag, and it was taking forever. I finally had to leave him there because they were calling for final boarding for our flight. I have to say, the security lady was really nice. I told her what was going on and why I had to leave, and she told me exactly where the gate was and promised to send Dan on his way and tell him to hurry.
The guy at the gate wasn't so nice though. I got there just before they were closing the door, and told him that my husband was caught in security and he was about a minute and a half behind me. Fifteen seconds later, he said they couldn't wait any longer and if I wanted to get on that flight I would have to leave without him. At this point I was almost crying, and I was pleading with him to wait just one minute..the girl at the desk said that would be ok, but the guy started to close it up anyway. At that point I saw Dan walking contentedly down the hall and yelled at him to run, but the guy closed the door as I turned to tell him Dan was almost there. Danny got there like 10 seconds later, and the girl reopened the door and cooed over the kittens as Dan tried to regale her with the exciting story of their lives and our airport experiences. So we were able to get onto the l-shaped hallway between the building and the plane, and the guy was mad. He told us that we would have to run down to the plane because he didn't have all day. Mind you, I'm almost 6 months pregnant carrying 2 bags, and "Silly Dan" has the kitties, but zero sense of urgency. We did make it on the plane and I offered a silent prayer of thanksgiving as Dan showed the flight attendants his kitties.
When we finally landed in Phoenix, most of the effects were wearing off, and Dan was not so happy anymore. I think what upset him the most was when he asked what he had gotten out of it to let me have a kitten, and I told him that he had negotiated to take Snowball too.
"A cat?! You talked me into getting a cat by giving me a CAT!!!!???!!!"

1 comment:

Coree Adams said...

Oh my gosh...I'm thinking that you need to present that story to a movie producer...that could be the funniest comedy to ever hit the theaters. MAN I WISH WAS THERE TO SEE IT!!! Sorry Dan...no more drugs for you buddy. haha