Monday, April 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Devon

5 years and 10 hours ago one of the sweetest little boys was born. You all remember last year, I started posting fun Devon memories here on the blog. Well, I've decided to do it again. Ever since Nate was born it seems like we've been thinking of Devon more and more. I guess it's pretty normal though, after all, we all compare what our kids are doing with what their older siblings did at their age, right?

So, here's some fun Devon History:
Devon was born at 7:55 on a Tuesday morning. He was a beautiful baby with a head full of hair. At the time, we were living in Flagstaff, but he was born here in Phoenix. We left the hospital on Thursday and went home after Easter. I know I've got some pictures somewhere of Devon "hunting" Easter eggs at the ripe old age of 5 days old. Maybe one day Mom will start talking to me and I'll be able to get them :(
At 8.5 months old he said his first word. At Christmas dinner he looked up, said mama, looked right at me, said mama again, and turned back to his mashed potatoes. Everyone had been talking, and it was pretty loud, but as soon as he said it the first time, the room went silent. And as people were turning to each other asking if he had said his first word, he repeated it. Best Christmas gift EVER!
I don't remember what age it was, but Devon took his first steps in my parent's living room. Mom had the Elk hide laid out, and he was standing next to the couch, leaning on it for support. All of a sudden, he lunged forward and took his first 8 steps. The most impressive thing about that was that he actually stepped over a fold in the hide. I was amazed.
At about 10 months old, he had his first haircut. Following Hopi tradition, his Uncle Spencer shaved his head. He wasn't a big fan of the clippers, but the mohawk Spencer gave him initially was really cute. Spencer shaved his head that night too. Well, he originally had a mohawk as well. But no one believed that he asked and Mom said that he could keep it, so the put him in a headlock and shaved that off too.
By the time Devon was 1 year old, we were living in Mesa. He had 2 birthday parties b/c the house was too small to fit both extended families.
For his second birthday we went to the park. The ramada wasn't reserved, but we were able to find a grill next to a picnic table and I called Dad and asked him to bring the folding table an some chairs. Meanwhile, I rushed to Walmart and bought the dozen folding chairs they had. At least everyone got to have a place to sit, right?
His third and final birthday party was also at a park. His best friend was there, his grammy and his aunts too. And his Daddy. It was such a great day for us. Even with Mom there being hateful and rude. He had his Cars pinata and was thrilled with the candy that came pouring out. The picture from his mortuary service was taken that day.

Devon was always a sweet, happy boy. He loved going to "school" (daycare) to see his friends, at least until he met Emma. Then he would rather play with her. He loved going to nursery and would proudly show me things he made in there. One of my favorites was when they learned Jesus is the Good Shepherd, so they glued cotton balls to a sheep outlined on a piece of paper. He made me pet it and told me, "Mommy, soft"
Of course he wasn't always "soft" with animals. He was known to stand with his hands on his hips and yell "Shut up Rosie" at Princess and Bandit. (Thanks again Justin)
He loved to stop and smell the roses. Literally. And he didn't limit himself to roses. Any flower, or bush, or blade of grass growing in a crack in the sidewalk had to be sniffed and appreciated. I was significantly less enthused about kneeling on the sidewalk on Dobson and smelling a blade of grass as cars whizzed by and drivers looked at me as though I had lost my mind. But I'm glad I did, it's a favorite memory of mine now.

Well, I think this particular novel is long enough, so I'll end here for now. Besides, Nate wants some attention, and I don't think he's going to stop pulling my hair til he gets some

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing, I did not get to know Devon but your memories are endearing. I am sure Nate will enjoy hearing about his brother too when he gets older. -Debbie

Lisa said...

How sweet and such a great tribute to a little man that touched many lives in his short time here on earth. It will be so special for Nate and his other siblings later on to hear these wonderful memories of their older brother.

Bryan said...

Without an ounce of exageration, you really are one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Coree and I only hope to be as bright and shiny as You and Dan are. There is no doubt that Devon is doing great work on the other side, he had a great example of love and kindness.
-Bryan