Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Summertime swim fun

Today Nate and I went swimming for the very first time! We went with Kathleen and Elara, and we all had so much fun! Nate and Elara had a blast, and by the end of the day we had two waterlogged babies. Nate thought that kicking his legs underwater was the coolest thing ever. At one point I was supporting him as he floated on his back, and he started kicking and smiling so big. Then, with me supporting him, he kicked and moved his arms like he was actually swimming, not on his back, with his tummy down. Does that make sense? It was like I would swim freestyle. He also enjoyed putting his head down and trying to drink the pool water like he does in the bathtub. He did not, however like the taste of chlorine. It was so funny to see him dip his head down, take a sip, then spit it out and shake his head. The funniest part was that as soon as he had finished spitting out the bad tasting water I saw him trying to do it again. Needless to say, I lifted him up and out of the water, but it was cute, nonetheless. We also floated around the lazy river for a while. Nate really enjoyed that, but he wasn't so keen on the parts when water dripped down on us. He was so cute in his little swimsuit. And, I learned well from the camping sunburn incident. He was lathered up so well that he still smelled like sunscreen even after his bath!
I have to admit that it was kind of difficult at first. I guess I'm glad that Nate was born last year, and not the year before. Last summer Dan and I got used to being in pools again. I'm glad that we did because it made it so much easier to take Nate this summer. I'm happy that Nate and I went swimming today. He had so much fun, and I feel like there's hope that I won't be "that woman" the one who people point to and whisper "she was never the same after the accident" Now I can't wait for Desert Oasis to open so that we can go to a pool more often b/c I would happily drive a mile to the pool once a week, or more. However, I am not at all likely to make the trip waaaaayyyyyyy out to where we went today as often!

1 comment:

Sara L said...

Good times. I have the kids swimsuits all ready, just not warm enough yet to pull them out. It is still nice in the 70-80s right now. Love you guys.
Miss you