Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm baaaacck

Wow, this has been one crazy crazy week. And last night, for the first time since Sunday I got to sleep (I use the term loosely) in my very own bed! Dan got the fun part, putting up pictures, and using age progression technology to see how Nate will look when he's his daddy's age. And now it's my turn to tell the story! We went into the hospital Monday night at 10, and by 11:30 they had started me on Pictocin. And 20 short hours later, Nate was born! Turns out he was face up (one nurse referred to it as 'sunny side up') and they said that was the reason it was taking so long to make any progress. So, he had to be turned over, and since he's such a big guy his shoulders didn't make things any easier. He had shoulder distotia which I think is a fancy way of saying that they had to twist and turn and maneuver to get his shoulders out. The nurse 'helped' get him out by climbing up next to me and shoving on my tummy while I was pushing. Hey, whatever works, right? But that's not all....apparently Nate had also managed to get his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, so when he was born, they whisked him away, and he got some oxygen. That's also why he looks sooooo ghost white in his first few pics. He went from white to purple to pink in the course of about 5 to 10 min. And as they took him away, I grabbed Dan by the hand and told him "go make sure he's perfect" He was going to stay with me and hold my hand, but I pushed him away (it took so much arm twisting to get him to go to the baby) and demanded that he check on the baby. And pointed out that I couldn't check him out because I was basically paralyzed from the waist down.
We did good. I was able to deliver without an epesiotomy, and without having to have a c-section-which was my greatest fear for weeks beforehand. So now we're home, getting used to life with a baby on the outside, while our little guy gets used to having to do things like breathe and eat on his own. And let me tell you, he has got this whole eating thing down pat. He is a professional nurser! He's also good at napping (thank goodness) and he has his daddy eating out of his tiny little hand! :)

3 comments:

kmaltby said...

I bet it is great to be home, I sure enjoyed it. Ed and I really enjoyed visiting you in the hospital and we love what Danny did to get a good idea what Nate will look like 18 years from now. Good luck with the next few nights, they are fun!

Coree Adams said...

Oh my! I am so glad that you are all ok! Let me know when you are good for a visitor (probably just me cuz I don't want to bring the kids over with the new baby) so I bring you your stuff and see that adorable little boy! LOVE YOU GUYS!

CF Is Not Forever said...

20 short hours later! Isn't it great how you can wrap all that action up in one tiny sentence! Glad your back home and the family is all well! Welcome Nate!