Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Nate Updates

Today was a busy day for me and the little guy. At the ripe old age of 1 week (1 whole week!!!), we were off to the doctor's office. That kind of sucked because his appointment was at 8:45 and he was up every hour on the hour to nurse last night. What can I say, he's got a limited skill set right now, but he's good at what he does. Which is why he went through 3 diapers during the course of his check up-he's just doin' what he does best, eat and poo. He currently weighs 8lbs, 15oz so he's almost back up to his birth weight, and he measured in at 21 1/4 inches. That actually surprised me, because I thought (and Daddy did too) that he was only 20 inches at birth. So, either they measured him wrong at the hospital, or he grew over an inch in a week. If that's the case, I'll have a baby the size of a five year old before he can even roll over! All in all the visit went well, though he was traumatized when he got his temp taken, and when they had to do the heel stick for his pku test. But, with a little time spent nursing, all was right in his world again.
He surprised the doctor with his advanced hand grabbing skills when she was trying to check out his ears and nose. All of a sudden, she looks up, startled, and said it looked like he was intentionally grabbing her hand, and he's strong. She said it almost looked like he focused on her hand, and then reached out to grab it, as opposed to flailing his arms around, realizing there's something there and grabbing it. But babies don't do that til 3 months. Personally, I think he did. He did something similar to his daddy where he reached out with both his hands, grabbed Daddy's hand and pulled it to his mouth. Dan says Nate kissed his hand, then let it go. Nate was also a little turkey during his check up, because when she went to check on his circumcision, he peed. But he did it just before the diaper came off so that there was pee coating his whole little area that she had to check. Thank goodness for gloves!
We also went in to Pepsi to turn in the paperwork needed to get the little guy on the insurance. And while we were there, I decided to pick up my paystubs, so Nate got to see the warehouse and meet a couple of the people I work with. They were all suitably impressed with his awesomeness and cuteness, and surprised to see me with a baby. He slept through that whole encounter, and just oozed adorableness. It's looking like I'll be going back to work around Thanksgiving time. My doctor's appointment is set for Nov. 25 and I got all the paperwork that I need to return to work. I also found out that the scary certified letter I got saying I had exceeded my 12 weeks of FMLA leave was just a reminder that they can backfill, but I was reassured by the HR rep that they aren't looking to fill my position, and it doesn't look like that will happen in the next 2 months. So it looks like I'll still have a job to go back to...yay!
Uh-oh, I hear noises coming from the other room. Looks like I've used up all my free time, and Nate's hungry for some quality mommy time.

No comments: