Friday, February 8, 2008

Husbands say the darndest things

I have to preface this by saying that I really and truly love Danny very verrry much. And one of the things I love about him is his ability to make me laugh. That being said . . .
Earlier this week, Danny was telling me that a lot of his family members (even the ones in Illinois) have been asking him lately if I am pregnant. This sparked the question, "honey, do you want to tell me anything?" (Just to clear up any confusion, we're still trying). This confused me, after all, most of the people asking don't see me on a regular basis; although the fact that several of the guys I work with have asked the same question has me feeling quite sad and insecure. Sara was the one to finally explain to me that Danny has been saying, "we'll know by the end of the week if she's pregnant"
Now, he said that, but we really have no unusuall circumstances to point to signs of pregnancy (if you can figure out what he meant, extra credit to you-hint, it will probably be more obvious to the ladies out there!) And that's why so many folks have been asking him, and why he thought I might need to tell him something.
When he asked me that question though, I hadn't talked to Sara, and I was just feeling insecure, so I broke down and appologized to Dan. Here's how that conversation went:

me: "I'm sorry that you have to be married to a cow like me. I'm not pregnant, I'm just tubby. And everyone knows it. I bet they make fun of you about me all the time."
Dan: "I know you're not pregnant. It's ok; you're not fat with child"
me: "Wah, I'm not even with child, I'm just fat!!!!!!! ..hic, sob"
Dan: "I meant great. You're not great"
me: "sob, wah-ahhh.....sob, hic....sob....sob....hic, more uncontrolable weeping and wailing"
Dan: "I was trying to go all Biblical on you. I meant you're not great with child, not you're not fat with child. But you have to admit, pregnant women do get bigger"

At which point I began hitting him with the pillow.

3 comments:

Justin said...

Hit him again for Sara.

As for me, I know I say blisteringly stupid things from time to time. I feel for you, Dan.

Sara L said...

You don't even look remotely pregnant just for clarification. That being said, I think that people just want you to be pregnant and that is why they keep asking. Heres hoping this is the month...just kidding...ok, just a little kidding :)
Sara
PS I was cracking up because I know I have said similar things to Justin ("I am sorry you have to be married to such a fat cow...")

Coree Adams said...

HAHA...guys just REALLY don't know what to say in times like that, do they? Bryan is the WORST at that. Needless to say, you are beautiful and will still be beautiful during and after you have another child. GOOD LUCK!!!!!