Friday, February 22, 2008

Not sure when I became a "seamstress"

I'm not quite sure how or even when it happened, but apparently I have become known as a "seamstress". Because clearly my ability to cut fabric into small squares and then sew them into bigger squares qualifies me for that title.
It all started with my aunt Patty. She asked Suzanne and me to make her a dress for a semi-formal evening event she will be attending. Next Friday. And to top it off, she came to me not with a pattern, but with a 'vision'. And when I sent her out into the world (aka Joann) to find a pattern, the friendly, helpful sales girl filled her head with ideas of creating her own pattern.
"She said it's really easy, and she showed me how. So you should have no problem with it"
"ummmm"
"And I bought my fabric, so when do you want me to come over to drop it off?"
"ummmmm"
"it doesn't look too hard"
"ummm, ok"
"And if it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world."
"(thinking to myself) well, that's a HUGE relief!"
So that will be an interesting adventure. And if anything even vaguely resembling an evening ensemble comes of it I'll post pics.

And a day or two after that, my dad came over with some work for "a talented seamstress". I knew I was in trouble when he asked how heavy duty of material my machine could sew through. Apparently the 'soft door' to his new jeep has some issues. On a 'soft door' you don't roll down the window, you unzip the flap (like a tent) and his passenger door's "window" zipper was coming unattached. And the pull tab is missing. So now I'm going to rip out the zipper, replace it (for both doors) and possible replace the Velcro that does....well, I'm not quite sure what. And the fun part about this project is that the metal piece that acts as the frame to the door is too big to fit under my machine foot, so I'll get to either do it completely by hand, or remove the foot, slide it under, and reattach the foot. I'm hoping the second option works, because I really don't want anything to do with the first! Again, if this project is vaguely successful, I will post pics later.

1 comment:

Justin said...

"This shouldn't be too hard" - Gen. Custer shortly before Little Big Horn.

"You can make your own pattern, right? She said it wasn't too difficult".

You'll be fine, Rachel.