Monday, September 8, 2008

keepin it real

As most of you know by now, I have no problem at all poking fun at myself. I try not to take myself too seriously. And luckily for me, Dan is usually willing to help not take me too seriously. Take tonight's dinner, for instance. Hang on...let me back up a little bit. We were lucky to even have dinner tonight because I have not wanted to clean out the fridge. I didn't do as thorough of a job as I should have before we left town for a month, so most of the contents had to go. And for me, cleaning out the fridge is not fun. I would almost rather change a newborn black tar goo diaper without wipes, or clean out a vomit bucket than clean the fridge. It's just one of those things. But I had to do it, because I couldn't go grocery shopping until I did, and we were running out of food. Yesterday I scrambled half a dozen eggs and ate a third of a thing of ice cream for dinner. As you can see, the pickings were getting slim. So today was "The Day"...I finally cleaned out the fridge and went on my way to the grocery store with my well organized list in hand. (I had to put that part in because I almost never actually make a list, much less an organized one; and even if I do, I usually forget it at home) After 3 1/2 rigorous hours of shopping, and making a youngish Hispanic guy feel bad I was finally done. (The guy parked in a spot designated for 'expectant mothers' and I had to park waaaaaay farther down, so as I walked past him, I waddled extra waddly and rubbed my large stomach cause I'm mean like that)
At Frys I found glorious ribeye steaks at a pretty good price, which I can't remember now, but it was under $5/lb, so the entire drive home I'm imagining a ribeye, grilled up all deliciously (bonus point-Dan does the grilling, so I wouldn't even have to cook them!) with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans, and a big, glorious salad with strawberry lemonade to drink. As you can tell, I really had this planned out....but when I got home, Dan had thoughtfully pulled out a pack of chuck shoulder steak to thaw because he thought that looked good, and he knew that I would need something thawed to make for dinner. And he looked so pleased with himself that I quietly put away the ribeyes, and started cutting stuff up for fajitas. Because when he saw that I had picked up tortillas, that's what he wanted. When the meat and onions and peppers were all sliced and cooked, and the cheese and sour cream were out, and refried beans were warming up, something caught my eye, and I announced that dinner was ready. And Dan looked at me strangely and said "We're having fajitas and potato chips?"
Apparently that's not a traditional pairing....mmmmm, ruffles!

No comments: