Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Devon and his Daddy


These two trouble makers had soooo much fun together. Actually, one time when I had to take Devon and drop him off with Joel, Devon threw a fit. Now, we had always refered to him as 'your father' when speaking to Devon, but he yelled, "No go, no Joel!" And that is one of Dan's fondest memories. I used to hug Dan and tell Devon, mine. Then he would come over from wherever he was, pull us apart, shower Dan with kisses and hugs and say "mine, my dad." That actually wasn't one of Dan's favorite games, but I thought it was hilarious. Devon actually got so used to seeing Dan that when I put him in the car and left Dan behind, he was confused and asked, "Mom, where Dad, mom....MOM?"
Dan actually introduced Devon to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and hot wheels. Not the cars themselves, but the really cool racetracks. Dan bought all three of the Turtles movies, and they were really the only non-animated movied Devon watched. Then we started getting him Turtle toys. The first movie that he sat through all the way without getting up and running around, or climing on the seats, or crawling back and forth between me and Dan was the newer animated TMNT movie. At one point, Leonardo gets captured by the bad guys. Devon was so upset by this he grabbed my arm and said, "Mom, Leo.....no go Leo" It was so cute. I could hardly keep from laughing as I explained that Leo would be ok.
Devon also had a hot wheels track that was really cool. It was in an oval, and in the middle it did a loop-de-loop. But wait, that's not all! at the loop-de-loop you could shoot cars through the middle of the loop. Devon had soooo much fun with that. It made me crazy, so he had to go to Daddy to get it set up. He could pull the trigger to shoot the cars, but he couldn't reset it to go again. I can't even begin to count the number of hours that Dan and Devon spent watching cars zoom around the track and shooting them through the hoop.
And my favorite story....I wasn't there for. Dan was watching Devon overnight at Sara's house while I was at work. This was a BIG step for us..but they got throught it great. The only thing is that Devon was potty training, and wearing Cars pull ups. Well, Devon and Emma were watching a movie when Sara asked Dan if Devon had tried to potty lately. So Dan asks "hey Little D, do you have to go potty?"
"No"-staring intently at the action on the screen
"Ok" (to Sara) "he doesn't have to go"
"Maybe you should make him try anyway"
"He's watching the movie"
"We can pause it"
"Alright, c'mon buddy, lets go potty"
......
......
......
......
"AWWWW, GROSS......COME ON!!!! I thought you didn't have to go!!"

Devon had had an accident. An explosive accident. And Dan was disgusted beyond belief. And Devon was totally unconcerned. And Sara was amused. And I lauged....hard....when I heard the story.

2 comments:

Coree Adams said...

hahahahahaha that last story is hilarious! I love hearing all of these stories Rachel. What a great idea! Especially because now you can have them all written down. What a sweet boy you have!

CF Is Not Forever said...

I promise I had my earlier comment written before I read this story and Coree's comments about writting stories down. I didn't copy her. True its my secret dream to follow her around and copy everything she does, but I didn't start yet it was coincidence!