Wednesday, April 2, 2008

no more of this nonsense

I have decided that I am done wallowing in saddness. After all, it's a self propelling cycle. The worse I feel, the more I wallow, and the more I wallow the worse I feel. No More!

I decided that I need to do something more positive. So, from here on out, probably till his birthday I'll post fun memories I have with Devon, me and Dan.

In case you can't tell, Devon actually took this picture (upside down) himself. He is about a year and a half right here and he LOVED having pictures taken of himself. He was a natural ham and would pose anytime he saw a camera. Then he would run up and demand to see the picture. If he didn't like the way he looked, he would say "Aww" and run away. Or if he did like it, he would grin his goofy grin, and sometimes even clap. Then he would show you, as if you hadn't seen yet!
One of the first times he and I went out with Dan, just the three of us, was to see Temple Lights. He was about two and three quarters. And by the time we picked up Dan and drove to the Temple, he was out. So there I was trying to hold him, get my purse, grab his diaper bag, make sure his cookies were there, get our coats, and put his hat on him...while he's asleep!..when Dan offered to hold him for me. Just as we were walking out of the parking lot, he stirred, and opened his eyes. I held my arms out for him, but he just burried his head in Dan's shoulder and hugged him, and closed his eyes again. An awesome memory for Dan, but honestly, I almost cried that night. And when we were there, he started running around, and got away from me. He ran out onto the grass and as I was scolding him and telling him to come back, he tripped over a cord and unplugged a string of lights! I was so embarassed to have to go tromping onto the grass and fumble around in the dark looking for where to plug the lights back in while firmly holing onto the hand of a squirming 2-3/4 year old. Dan was cracking up, he thought it was hilarious. Needless to say I was far less amused; I actually gave up eventually and made Dan go plug the lights back in while an elderly couple walked by us and smiled fondly at the scene we made.

3 comments:

Sara L said...

Yeah, that story captures the essence of Devon. Sorry to send you on your wallowing spiral...Love you all lots!

Coree Adams said...

See what I mean Rachel? You are so amazing! Always thinking and always coming out on top. I love that about you. What a great idea to post memories and pictures of Devon. I CANT WAIT to see more! That's a funny story. Although I can definitely say that I would have been very unamused as well. But fun to laugh about now. LOVE YOU!

CF Is Not Forever said...

I hope it was the camel lights, or the jello mold lights that he unplugged that would be the coolest.